Saturday, February 20, 2010

Some quick photos of the week



So I wanted to put up a couple of quick pictures of the week.


This is an snippet of the nepali characters we are trying to learn. They have 4 d's and 4 t's that are so closely sounding to one another that I'm failing miserably to tell them apart. We are spending 2 hours a day; 3-4 times per week with a private tutor and then probably the same amount doing homework additionally. I can now proudly direct cab drivers in their own language. =)





This second photo is from a new friend of ours who got married last week and then had the reception this week on Monday (by the way, that's normal). Our first nepali wedding and Alana went with another new friend Rita to find the Kurta she is wearing in the photo. Oh, and this reception is the one and only time where Alana and I hitting the dance floor brought down the house. I have the same dance moves now as I did when I was 5 dancing at weddings if that tells you anything. But a lot of people found it really entertaining that we were on the dance floor. My favorite moment was when the whole dance floor filled with only nepali men, all of whom were had to be over 45, to dance to the song: "My hips don't lie" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQgjEhH400)






This picture is a breakdancing concert that was put on about a hundred feet behind the guesthouse we were staying in. So we decided to go check out what all the commotion was about and had a great valentine's day watching nepali's breakdance. Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. I really wish I could have been there for the "Hips Don't Lie" performance! That sounds very entertaining.

    So was the breakdancing to Western music or Eastern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The breakdancing was to mostly Western with flairs of Eastern. The Eastern was the most fascinating though. There was this one dance that just blew me away. It was mixed dancing (both males and females) and they were all in traditional costumes doing somewhat traditional moves, but to a heavy beat. It was after that dance that I sent Tom to get our camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete